Seidova El'nara Yasin, Teacher, sub-department of geography, Nakhichevan State University (University
campus, Nikhichevan, the Autonomous Republic of Nakhichevan, Azerbaijan), email@example.com
Background. In the modern development conditions of the society the level of ecological culture is directly proportional to the ecological situation in the world and directly depends of people’s ecological education. The aim of the research is to promote development of ecological knowledge, fostering of love to nature, aspiration to save and to augment it, development of environmental activity skills in schoolchildren in the process of “Geography” subject teaching.
Materials and methods. The research tasks were implemented through analyzing the existing schoolbooks and tutorials in geography on the problem of ecological education; through studying the experience of evaluating activities by teachers and their instruction using information-telecommunication technologies – the method allowing to teach techniques of independent work, self-control, mutual control, research, knowledge-seeking skills, skills of generalization and conclusion drawing.
Results. Ecological education presupposes the ability to understand ecological phenomena, to to draw conclusions on environment conditions, to have reasonable interaction with nature. Schoolchildren’s communication with nature promotes formation of moral senses of duty and responsibility for its preservation, encourages environmental protective activities. It is implemented taking into account age peculiarities of schoolchildren at all stages of geography teaching at school with inherent aims, objectives, methodology.
Conclusions. From the point of view of environmental and social protection, geography features great opportunities, as scientific foundations of geography and geographic ecology and the results of application fields thereof are inseparably connected with environmental protection. Ecological education of schoolchildren at geography classes requires psychological involvement of pupils into the world of nature with subsequent step-by-step construction of the system of personal attitude to nature. This ensures observance of environmental knowledge formation logic, usage of its cognitive and educational importance in the educational process. The article substantiates the idea that if in the neatest future people do not learn to take care of nature, they will destroy themselves. To avoid this, it is necessary to foster ecological culture in people from young age, as the obtained knowledge may subsequently transform into firm personal beliefs. And if the existing schoolbooks are supplemented with ecological materials, they will successfully solve the problem of ecological education of teenagers.
teenagers, environmental protection, geography teaching methods, education, ecological education.
1. Geokchayly Sh. Yu. Problemy geografii i geograficheskoy ekologii (teoreticheskie i metodologicheskie aspekty) [Problems of geography and geographic ecology (theoretical and methodological aspects)]. Baku: Ulu İKF, 2004, p. 268.
2. Golubev G. N. Geoekologiya [Geoecology]. Moscow, 1999, 338 p.
3. Kurrikulum [Curriculum]. 2014, no. 4, pp. 86–89.
4. Uchebnaya programma po distsipline «Geografiya», VI–XI klassy dlya obshcheobrazovatel'nykh shkol Azerbaydzhanskoy Respubliki [The educational program in “Geography”, VI–XI years of secondary schools in the Republic of Azerbaijan]. Ministerstvo obrazovaniya Azerbaydzhanskoy Respubliki; Institut problem obrazovaniya Azerbaydzhanskoy Respubliki. Baku, 2013.
5. Bibikin A. Ya. Metodika obucheniya geografii v sredney shkole [Geography teaching methods at secondary school]. Maarif, 1973, 423 p.
6. Garibov Ya., Shabanova Ya., Seyfullaeva N., Gumbatova Sh. Geografiya. Posobie dlya uchitelya, 7 klass [Geography. Teaching aid, 7th year]. Baku, 2014, 144 p.
7. Eminov Z., Samedov G., Alieva A. Geografiya. Posobie dlya uchitelya, 8 klass [Geography. Teaching aid, 8th year]. Baku, 2015, 175 p.
8. Mamedov G., Khalilov M. Ekologiya i okruzhayushchaya sreda [Ecology and environment]. Baku: Elm, 2004, 505 p.
9. Atlas dlya 7-go klassa [Atlas for the 7th year]. Moscow: Kartografiya, 2011.